How do I take care of my new dental crown?
Looking after your dentistry is as important as looking after your natural teeth. While dental crowns do not decay, the surrounding gum tissue can develop an infection, and the margins around the crown can develop decay, putting your investment of time and money at risk.
Here is what we recommend in our Albuquerque dental office to take care of your crown:
- Brush your teeth twice a day with a soft-bristled toothbrush.
- Floss daily on both sides of the teeth.
- If you have a dental bridge, use a small dental brush or floss threader.
- Use fluoride toothpaste to protect enamel.
- Be sure not to use too much pressure when brushing.
- Have regular dental cleanings and exams.
It’s also a good idea to exercise some caution when eating. Our same-day dental crowns are made of durable ceramic, but they are subject to cracks and damage, just like your natural teeth.
Our Recommendations for Protecting Crowns
- Don’t chew ice or hard candy.
- Avoid cherry and olive pits.
- Wear a nightguard if you grind your teeth.
Preventive dental care requires a much smaller investment of both time and money to stay healthy rather than to fix problems, which may mean more time in our Albuquerque dental office.
With the proper care, your dental crown will give you many years of reliable service.