Will my dental implant procedure hurt?
When you read about it in black and white, the technical aspects of dental implant surgery can seem invasive. When you have all of the information, however, you will realize that dental implant surgery causes minimal discomfort, and with the proper post-operative care, will health rather quickly.
When we recommend dental implants in our Northern Heights dental office, we will discuss the entire procedure so that you have a complete understanding of what to expect.
Things To Keep In Mind About Dental Implants
- Our oral surgeon specialists will ensure your comfort.
- You will be completely numb throughout the procedure.
- Unlike soft tissue, bone contains few nerves.
- Some bruising is normal, but will quickly fade.
- Initial healing times are short, but full integration takes longer.
It is crucial to follow post-operative care instructions.
- Leave the area undisturbed for the first 24 hours.
- After that, rinse gently with warm salt water until tissue heals.
- Avoid brushing the area directly.
- Some redness and swelling are normal.
- Anti-inflammatory medications can help with discomfort and swelling.
- Minimize physical activity for the first 24 hours.
- Avoid smoking, which increases dental implant failure rates.
We will discuss the best way to care for your dental implant and stay in close communication as you recover.
If you have missing teeth and would like information about dental implants, contact our Northern Heights dental office to arrange a consultation.