How do I take care of my full dentures?
Gum disease and unpleasant odors can develop if you do not care for your dentures properly. Following a few simple steps can keep your denture functioning optimally for five to seven years. It is best to maintain regular dental appointments with Dr. Lindsay Essenmacher in her Albuquerque dental office to examine the state of the denture and to monitor your oral health.
Proper Denture Care:
- Rinse dentures and your mouth after eating.
- Keep dentures out of the reach of children and pets.
- Handle dentures carefully to avoid dropping them.
- Brush your dentures daily using a soft denture brush.
- Use only denture-specific cleansers.
- Soak or store dentures in a moist container overnight.
- Contact your dentist if your dentures become damaged.
- Book an appointment if your dentures become loose.
- Soak dentures in white vinegar if they collect tartar.
Things to avoid when you have dentures:
- Avoid hot water and leaving your denture in a hot car.
- Don’t use abrasive cleaners or whitening toothpaste.
- Never use bleach-containing products.
If you have ill-fitting dentures, loose dentures, or you think you might benefit from a new set of dentures, contact our Albuquerque dental office to book an exam with Dr. Essenmacher.